I’m lying here on a beautiful sunny day sick in bed. In order to make it more tolerable I have imbibed copious amounts of tea and turned to my books. I found myself searching for my old copy of Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery for a comforting read akin to spending time with an old friend. Mid-afternoon and I’ve have found myself most of the way through my read and in awe of how pleasurable and still relevant the story of Anne is today. I certainly encourage everyone to reacquaint themselves with this adorable and uplifting read but in the meantime here are five lessons we can all take from Anne with an E:
- It always helps to have a positive outlook on life. Being a Negative Nancy is a trap that many of us fall into. Thinking negatively, comparing ourselves to others, passing judgement on those around us is all too easy these days, especially with the view social media gives us into each other’s lives. Rather than going on a social media rant or having a bitch with our friends we should take a leaf from Anne’s book. Make a conscious decision to wake up happy and confident tomorrow and revel in the beauty of a fresh morning.
- Having an active imagination is important. Imagination is just as important to us now as adults as it was when we were young children imagining fairies and Santa Clause. I still enjoy putting my headphones in, going for a walk and letting my imagination run wild. You never know where your mind will take you. Imagination is a great source of inspiration from fiction writing to business to personal goals. Envisioning how the world could be invokes a bit of the magic back into it.
- Real women build each other up. With television shows like The Bachelor displaying so much toxic femininity it is heartily refreshing to read about a character that is devoted to supporting her friends. Anne and Dianna have the most beautiful relationship where they support each other and build each other’s confidence. There is nothing nicer than paying a compliment and making someone’s day rather than making a snide comment or laughing behind someone’s back. I recommend you try it.
- Appreciating the beauty in the natural world around us. I adore how enamoured Anne is in the world around her. The babbling brooks, the cherry blossoms, weaving flowers in her hair. It’s so easy to fall into the Netflix binge and watch five seasons of a TV show in a weekend but honestly there is nothing better than getting some fresh air and going for a hike and appreciating the simple pleasures in life. It also reminds you of how important it is to care for the environment and reduce waste.
- We all make mistakes and you can always turn things around. Anne has many trials and is full of natural sin. I mean, aren’t we all? Not one of us is perfect and we will always fall off the bandwagon. Some days will be bad and you can’t stop the negative thoughts but what is important is that you pick yourself up and try again. Our best selves are not a destination with an end point, they are a constant work in progress and are ever evolving and changing. Embrace it and run with it.